Week Toosie

    Week two was a bit of a doozy-packed to the brim with insights about our fast-accelerating future, new trends in computing and software, project management basics, and how to level up as teammates and communicators. We also dove into study strategies, time management tools, and even got inspired by a previous cohort’s Capstone Projects. Let’s just say, information overload was the theme of the week!

    In the video "The Future is Faster than you Think" we learn how accelerating technologies are reshaping the future. Computing power, networks, and sensors are becoming cheaper and more powerful, driving fields like AI, robotics, and biotech. This abundance extends to time, capital, and communication, lowering barriers for innovation worldwide. Technology also reduces costs "demonetization", connects more people, and boosts collective genius. Advances in health and brain-computer interfaces promise longer, more productive lives, potentially leading to "longevity escape velocity." 

    We are just getting started...

    To sum up the article "Trends in Computing and Software Development," we have moved from waterfall and rigid processes into agile, DevOps, and beyond, with AI, low-code tools, and hybrid cloud shaping the future. Challenges like technical debt, privacy, and talent shortages remain, but the market is booming and AI is helping more with grunt work, thus not replacing human creativity just yet. In short: software keeps evolving, the demand is shifting, and the future looks fast, smart, and full of opportunities.

    In the video "Introduction to Project Management," we learn that a project is a temporary effort with a clear goal, scope, cost, and timeline, known as the "triple constraint."" Projects can be triggered by market needs, technology shifts, customer requests, laws, or social and ecological demands. The project manager acts like the project's CEO, balancing strategy, people skills, and technical know-how to keep everything on track. Around them, teams, stakeholders, and the Project Management Office work together, while programs and portfolios coordinate multiple projects at once.

    In the "Video on teamwork and communication," we learn that good teamwork really comes down to communication. When everyone knows the goals, understands their role, and feels included, the team just clicks. But when communication slips, things get messy fast. Barriers like different styles, remote work, or cultural differences can pop up, but with respect, the right tools, and some active listening, those gaps can be bridged. At the end of the day, trust and open communication are what make a team feel strong and successful.

    In the video "How to Be a Great Team Player," it really boils down to simple but very important traits: know your stuff, be reliable, and keep your word. Stay humble, remember the team is bigger than you, and take the initiative to jump in and help where you can. Flexibility, purpose, and bringing some energy go a long way too. At the heart of it, it’s about showing up for others and making the whole team stronger.

    Only about half the fun is done!

    In the "Effective Study Skills" article, I realized that studying isn’t just about grinding through material. It’s about creating good habits and using the right strategies. A schedule keeps me grounded, and techniques like SQ3R (survey, question, read, recite, review) help me actually understand and remember what I read. Taking better notes, staying organized, and finding a quiet space really make a difference. At the end of the day, it’s not about cramming but about building a steady rhythm that helps me learn more effectively.

    Of these strategies, the top three I am good at are: First, choosing where I study. I always pick a quiet location where I can think clearly and avoid distractions. Second, deciding when I study. I know I learn best in the morning, so I make sure to dedicate that time to my education. Finally, making and revising a schedule. I organize my schedule not only for my studies but also for other activities in my life. I have no problem adjusting it when needed. For example, if schoolwork becomes heavier, I reallocate time from other areas to focus on my academic tasks. On the other hand, if I finish my school goals earlier than expected, I revise my schedule to include extracurricular activities.

    Of these strategies, the three areas I feel weakest in are: First, the SQ3R method. While it takes more time, I know it helps in learning and processing information more critically in the long run, and I need to practice it more consistently. Second, I tend to read aloud, which slows down my reading speed. A simple strategy, like placing my finger over my lips, definitely helps me work on breaking this habit. Lastly, thinking skills. I need to ask more questions as I read, and I believe it would be especially helpful to discuss the material with other students to deepen my understanding.

    After reading the "Time Management Skills" article, I’ve realized that time management is all about being intentional and purposeful. Keeping my space organized, setting clear goals, and planning ahead should all be done with that mindset. I also need to remember that it’s okay to delegate, ask questions, and take breaks when needed. Even small habits, like keeping good notes, help me stay on track. For me, it’s about finding the balance between being productive and not burning out.

    Here's a screenshot of my activity log from Wednesday to Sunday.


    The "Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)" & "Gantt Chart" videos are a continuation from the "Introduction to Project Management" video that really complement each other. The WBS breaks a project down into smaller, manageable deliverables; almost like a tree diagram that makes sure nothing important slips through the cracks. On the other hand, the Gantt chart takes those tasks and lays them out across time, showing dependencies, milestones, and progress at a glance. Together, they remind me that project success comes from both organizing the what (deliverables) and mapping out the when (timeline). It feels less overwhelming when I think of it as building the puzzle pieces first, then sliding them into place on a schedule.

    Overload yet? Don't worry. Almost done.

    The previous Capstones were overwhelming impressive. I took a likeness to the video game ones especially.

1. A Bird's Song

    This project was a video game, but it also carried an important message: the destruction of animal habitats can lead to species extinction. I thought the presentation did a great job showcasing the game, its controls, and the overall message. I don’t think the presentation itself needed improvement, but the gameplay could be expanded. For example, adding a health bar, awarding points for finding a mate (the game’s objective), and introducing more levels that reflect increasing habitat destruction would make the game both more challenging and impactful.

2. Out of Mana

    This project was a video game that stood out for how complete it felt. It included features commonly seen in professional games, like save/load options, sound settings, customizable controls, NPCs, in-game items, inventory systems, and tutorials from an NPC. The presentation was also very polished—the font and theme matched the style of the game, which added a thoughtful and cohesive touch. The developer mentioned plans for expansion, and I think adding more levels, items, and NPCs would take the game even further.

3. DriveDiary

    This project was a car maintenance and gas usage log. I thought it was well done but also saw room for growth. Currently, users need to research and enter when their cars need maintenance. It would be more powerful if the app could automatically determine service intervals based on the car’s make, model, and odometer reading, then provide users with recommendations and price ranges. The presentation was excellent and showed how much potential this project has with more time and development. Improving it so the program can deliver service information directly to the user would make it far more practical and user-friendly.

Comments

  1. Hi Anthony, thanks for your blog post. It looks like we have a similar approach to time management, in that we value both flexibility and being intentional with time. It's important to take breaks to avoid burnout, while also scheduling enough time to get everything done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really connected with your thoughts on time management. I feel the same about being intentional and how small habits like note taking make a big difference. I also liked what you said about finding balance between getting things done and not burning out since that’s something I’m still learning too. By the way, not related, but I was super impressed with how clear your schedule looked on the Excel sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anthony, your time management structure is solid and similar to my calendar in some senses. What I think is great is your level of detail, you included breaks and even "other obligations" which means you know what to expect outside of your academics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anthony,
    I like that your journal reads like a genuine journal. You’ve covered all the aspects of the week in great detail. The only suggestions I can think of for improvement are adding headers for each segment and extending the time interval of your schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cohort 24 Take Off

Week Força