Week V
Part One: Support and Comment on Teammates' Goals
https://syv-w.blogspot.com/2025/09/week-4.html?sc=1759426178438#c5530552524873156682
Part Two: Possible Capstone Ideas
One idea that excites me most is creating a video game for my Capstone project. I’ve heard Professor Tao mention during past Capstone festivals that video games are both difficult and time-consuming to make, but also incredibly fun. Something about the challenge really appeals to me. The thought of seeing the end product; actually being able to play and enjoy something you built, just seems amazing. It fascinates me more than any other type of project. My hope is that, by the time we get there, I’ll have built up enough skills to take on something like this. Interestingly, from the videos I’ve seen, many students who created video games did them solo. That’s surprising considering how technical and time-intensive game development can be, especially given the short timeframe of the Capstone festival.
I also liked the project where a team created a database for storing pet information. I'm not sure what kind of database I would do, but the concept of making data available in a secure and convenient way really stood out. I remember another project where a team developed a database that automatically updated a library’s book inventory during COVID. That transformed what used to be a slow, analog process into something digital and semi-autonomous.
Another project idea I’d love to explore, inspired by the Culture Connect project, would be a point-of-interest application specifically for skateboarding street spots. Users could add locations they discover, which would then show up on a shared map. Features could include location pins, photos, a rating system, details about security guards or access restrictions, and even a comments section. I think it could be a really fun and practical tool for skaters, while also being a great technical challenge to build.
Part Three: Keep Up With Your Learning Journal
Grad School:
Thinking about grad school has made me realize there’s a lot to weigh beyond just getting accepted. Most programs still expect applicants to take the GRE, with a score of at least 300, even though some schools make it optional. The GPA requirement of 3.0 or higher feels reasonable, and the need for two to three recommendation letters from professors, supervisors, or employers makes sense since they can speak to my abilities and potential. What stands out to me, though, is the mix of benefits and uncertainties that come with a master’s degree. On one hand, it could make me more competitive in the job market, open doors to promotions, and maybe even lead to a higher salary. On the other hand, I’ve learned that some employers still value work experience more than advanced degrees, and there’s also this idea of degree inflation—where a master’s is becoming the new bachelor’s. That feels a little contradictory, but I guess it just shows that the value of grad school really depends on where I end up and how I use it. Another big factor is the financial cost—tuition, fees, and even the opportunity cost of time could add up to a major investment. In the end, I think the biggest lesson for me is to make sure the return on investment makes sense for my own career goals, rather than assuming a graduate degree will guarantee success.
Internships
I didn’t realize how many people in the workforce have gone through internships, but it makes sense. Interns often gain valuable experience, and in many cases, they even secure full-time positions with the companies intern for. Still, the idea of interning feels a bit daunting to me. I think that comes from not yet feeling fully confident in my technical skills. My plan is to keep learning and growing, and then apply for internships later in the program; maybe about a year in, or even after finishing the two-year program. I still have time to figure it out, and I’m looking forward to building up the confidence and skills to take that step.
Ultimately, the information we reviewed this week about grad school and internships really made me reflect on the different paths available to us. Both are excellent opportunities for educational and career development, and I appreciate that we’re being encouraged to think about them early on.
Comments
Post a Comment